Monday, March 2, 2009

A new look

I am always nervous when I go to get my hair done in Japan. ALWAYS. 

I think it's because the first time I went, I didn't really know any Japanese, and since then, I was afraid the results would be like what I got that first time.

My biggest pet peeve is, hairstylists like to "fringe" my hair. I don't blame them-- pretty much all sophisticated adults like the "fringe" look, and it looks extremely attractive on them. However, my hair just won't do a fringe. Ends up looking like what I imagine a Russian serf's hair to be. 

I discovered one very good and very expensive place in Tokyo, in Minami-Azabu. Check out Shingen Japon if you have been saving up for that perfect haircut and are in town.


On Sunday I went in for a hair appointment at a lovely little place nearby. The staff were all really cheerful and beautiful young people, and a couple of them were hard at work on my unruly mop for hours. I think they were just as nervous as I was, but in the end, I got a fantastic haircut and some gorgeous highlights. 

One little experiment near the top of my head turned out rather funny-looking, but the kind manager told me not to worry and that they would fix it when my hair has had a chance to recover a bit. I know it's silly, but I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when I saw the color at first. But thanks to that generous manager, I soon saw reason again! I'll be going back to this place for sure. 

In the meantime, I think the people around me can generally see only  'foreign' characteristics and won't notice the experiment too much. Silly me. 

No comments: