Friday, November 18, 2011

a blacksmith courted me

A blacksmith courted me nine months and better.
He fairly won my heart, wrote me a letter.
With his hammer in his hand, he looked so clever;
And if I were with my love, I'd live for ever.

O, where has my love gone, with his cheeks like roses?

He's gone across the sea, gath'ring primroses.

I'm afraid the shining sun might burn and scorch his beauty

And if I were with my love, I'd do my duty.

Strange news has come to town, strange news is gath'ring;
Strange news flies up and down that my love's married.
O, I wish them both much joy, though they don't hear me,
And if I were with my love, I'd do my duty.

O, what did you promise me when you lay beside me?
You said you'd marry me and not deny me.
If I said I'd marry you, t'was only to try you,
So bring me witness, love, and I'll not deny you.

O witness have I none, save God Almighty!
And may he reward you well for the slighting of me.
Her lips grew pale and wan, it made her poor heart tremble
For to think she'd loved but one, and he'd proved deceitful.

(Traditional)

No comments: