Sunday, November 6, 2011

more revels in rhyming

Everyone Wants You
A Poem for a Friend, with Apologies for its Triteness

"Everyone wants" a home of her own,
Green grass in the suburbs, her personal throne,
But do I now, really? There's a new thought.

"Everyone wants" a good job with a raise,
Or even a bad one, as long as it pays
Something. What is it exactly, the job that I want?

"Everyone wants" to get married quite young
To the love of her life, raise a daughter and son.
But how old is young? Is love chosen or destined?

"Everyone wants" this country to change,
More jobs, and more gas, and more cash in the bank.
Which plans really work? I never have questioned.

Maybe I don't want a box from the shelf
Maybe I don't want a cage for the self
Maybe I think I'll find love my own way
Maybe I think about more than I say

It's high time to know more, to do more, to be more
And it's thanks to the friend who has shaken my core.
You read and you research, you absorb every fact
You dare me to think and to speak and to act.
I find that I'm woefully ignorant, but
I'm glad I can finally climb out of the rut.
I'm so grateful for you, for the questions you ask,
And I love when you take my waffling to task--
Maybe not in the moment, when I think that I'm right,
But I remember your words when I'm up late at night,

And you know what?
I'm ecstatic to have
In my life, here and now,
Not someone like you,
But exactly, precisely,
inimitably you.
Thank you.

No comments: