Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Carrying on


Have a cup of tea and relax! How is your Lent going? Have you had to rethink your Lenten sacrifices or practices? How about staying cheerful in spite of them, and engaging people in a friendly manner?

For me, Lent is going fairly well and Lent-ishly this year. I find I can do very well without either YouTube or Facebook. I think I saw a meme on Facebook once that showed a box of cigarettes with the Facebook logo, captioned: "Social Cigarettes." I suppose it is. I was certainly at the point where, when anxiety kicked in, off I would go to Facebook to 'calm down.' But I don't need to be up on everybody's business all the time, after all. As for YouTube, "Aw, this three-minute video is a well-deserved brain break!" too often had been turning into, "What, have I really watched so many videos already?!" So, so long to both of them until Easter.


Unfortunately, I don't anticipate having any time to make pysanky this year. Still, I have lots of photos of ones I made in 2011. That was a great winter/spring for crafts. Imagine getting off of work at 4:30 pm! I did not sufficiently appreciate the early hours I had then. (Well, to be honest, I did some days but not others, so given a chance to return to those days, I would make sure I appreciated them all!)


However, all is not lost. To give my artistic inclinations more tools and training, and to force myself to leave the confines of my home office and be with real people, I enrolled in an oil study class. Actually, by the time I thought of it, the session had already been going for three weeks, but the teachers are friendly and flexible, and so I was able to join anyway. I never painted with oils before, or learned how, so it was a little daunting at first to walk into a classroom full of students at various levels, seemingly all working on the finishing touches to very respectable oil paintings. (Since then, I've been getting there on time and sitting by the other beginning students.) Anyway, it has since become one of the things I look forward to most each week.

That's all for now. Busy day ahead with Aqua Zumba at the end of it!

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Best wishes on your sacrifices and I hope your painting class will be extremely fruitful. I'd post a Bob Ross video, but that would be a bad idea.

J. J. said...

My brother said something about this Bob Ross chap, too! Can't say I've ever seen the guy paint, but the idea made me giggle. As for the class, it's relaxing and energizing at the same time, similar to a good cup of tea.

Kevin said...

I'll send you a video of Bob Ross at work after Lent. He helped me keep my sanity after school during the Hell that was 7th grade.